Section 'Sub' Navigation:
Dr. Farivar Jahansouz
Cardiovascular Surgery, Critical Care, Pulmonary Hypertension
Farivar Jahansouz, PharmD.
Health Sciences Clinical Professor
Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
Research Summary: Cardiovascular Surgery, Critical Care, Pulmonary Hypertension
Dr. Jahansouz moved to the UC San Diego Health in 1989 where he practiced primarily in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit until 2002. Dr. Jahansouz’ career emphasis changed when he helped to implement a new pharmacy computer system in 2002 and later, the computerized provider order entry system at UC San Diego Health System.. Since 2006, his clinical practice has been at the UC San Diego Health - La Jolla intensive care units. His area of interest has been cardiovascular surgery and pulmonary critical care medicine.
B.S. (1981) Doctor of Pharmacy (1987) University of Minnesota; Cardiothoracic Transplantation and Critical Care (1987) Cardiovascular Pharmacist (1988) University of Minnesota Hospital and Clinics.
Awards and Honors:
Excellence in Teaching Award, Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (2005); Excellence in Teaching Award, Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (2006).Faculty of the Year, Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (2016).
- Conference chair for therapeutics series (SPPS 212A, 212B, 212C).
- Lecturer, therapeutics course (SPPS 212A,212B).
- Director, acute care advance pharmacy practice experience (SPPS 400AB).
- Director, hospital/health system advanced pharmacy practice experience (SPPS 434).
- Workshop chair, Medical microbiology and infectious diseases therapeutics (SPPS 264AB).
- Co-Chair Critical Care medicine course(SPPS 245)
Selected Recent Publications (view more)
- Humber et al. (2007). Clinical pharmacology review. In, Wilson WC, Grande CM, Hoyt DB, eds. Trauma: critical care, volume 2; New York. CRC Press.
- Jahansouz et al. (2011). Pharmacist Documentation of Fentanyl Patch Orders in an Academic Medical Center. Hosp Pharm 46:854-863.
- Jahansouz et al. (2012). Enforcement of Antimicrobial policy through restrictions built into system for computerized prescriber order entry. Am J Health- Syst Pharm, 69(14)1191.
- Jahansouz et al. (2013). Impact of Smart Infusion Pump implementation on Intravenous Patient Controlled-Analgesia Medication errors. CJHP California Journal of Health-System Pharmacy 25(5): 145-150.
Potential Collaborative Programs with the Pharmaceutical Industry
- Thirty four years of experience in clinical pharmacy.