Section 'Sub' Navigation:
Dr. Kenneth H. Schell
Experiential Education, Pediatrics
Kenneth H. Schell, Pharm.D., RPh., FASHP, FCSHP
Assistant Dean for Pediatric Clinical Affairs and Health Sciences Clinical Associate Professor
Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
Chief of Pharmacy, Rady Children's Hospital, San Diego
Research Summary: Pediatrics, Regulatory Compliance, Ambulatory Care, Experiential Education
Dr. Schell has practiced in a wide variety of acute care hospital, managed care and regulatory compliance environments. His clinical expertise is in pediatric pharmacy where in previous positions has practiced in the pediatric intensive care unit and other areas at the Rady Children's Hospital in San Diego. In addition, he has practiced in managed care settings as a Clinical Operations Manager at the Kaiser Permanente San Diego Services Area. In this role he oversaw the ambulatory clinical pharmacy services which included, the anticoagulation service, pediatric hematology/oncology clinic, and pharmacists who practiced in the HIV, Renal, Cholesterol, Hypertension and Investigational Drugs Clinics.
Dr. Schell has additional experience in Regulatory Compliance operations having served as a Senior Manager for compliance at Kaiser Permanente and as Vice President of Quality Assurance and Compliance and Chief Privacy Officer at Prescriptions Solutions, a United Healthcare company. He is currently serving as Pharmacist in Chief at Rady Children's Hospital, San Diego. Dr. Schell has also been involved throughout his entire career in educating Pharmacists in training. He created one of the first Pediatric electives in San Diego for pharmacy students enrolled at UCSF School of Pharmacy at the Children's Hospital in Kearny Mesa. At Kaiser Permanente, Ken served as Residency Coordinator for the San Diego Services area. He is also actively involved in mentoring students and providing insights to undergraduates at the UCSD campus though the Health Sciences Mentoring Program.
Education: B.A. Biology (1978) UC San Diego (Revelle College); Pharm.D. (1984) UCSF; Residency in Pharmacy Practice (1985) UCSD Medical Center, Hillcrest)
Awards and Honors (selected): Certified Information Privacy Practitioner (2010); Certified in Healthcare Compliance (2010); President, California State Board of Pharmacy (2008 - 2009); Keynote Speaker Loma Linda School of Pharmacy Graduation. Loma Linda, CA (2008); Appointed to the California State Board of Pharmacy (2003, 2006); Pharmacist of the Year California Society of Health-system Pharmacists (2002); Spotlight on Leadership Award for Recognition of Outstanding Achievement in Leadership. (cont.)
Leadership Experience: Kaiser Permanente, San Diego Services Area (2002); Fellow of the American Society of Health-system Pharmacists (2000); Elected President, California Society of Health System pharmacist (1997); Elected Fellow of the California Society of Hospital Pharmacists (1993); Merck Pharmacist Achievement Award. Recognizing professional and civic achievements of pharmacists. (1993); Pharmacist of the Year San Diego Society of Hospital Pharmacists (1992); Employee of Excellence Award, Children's Hospital and Health Center, San Diego, California (1989); President San Diego Society of Health System Pharmacists (1990); Outstanding Service Award Associated Students University of California San Francisco, California (1982 - 1983); Hugh O' Connor Prize Service to the School of Pharmacy University of California San Francisco, California (1982).
Key Contributions to Clinical Pharmacy
- Established Pediatric Clinical Pharmacy Elective Service at the Children's Hospital in San Diego. This led to opportunities for 4th year UCSF School of Pharmacy Students to obtain real time clinical pharmacy experience at an acute care pediatric hospital.
- Established the role of pediatric ICU pharmacist at the Children's Hospital in San Diego.
- Assisted in the implementation of the Pediatric HomeCare Service at the Children's Hospital in San Diego.
- Established the HIV Ambulatory Care Pharmacist role at Kaiser Permanente in San Diego.
- Gained approval to establish the Investigational Drug Pharmacist role at Kaiser Permanente in San Diego.
Selected Professional Activites
California State Board of Pharmacy
- Elected Board President for 2 terms.
- Participated in the development of a Patient Centered Label for Prescriptions designed to enhance patient safety and adherence to medication therapy
University of California San Diego
- Participant since 2002 in the UCSD Health and Medical Professions Preparation Program. Served as a mentor to UCSD undergraduates interested in careers in Pharmacy practice.