Diabetes, Ambulatory Medicine
Health Sciences Clinical Professor of Pharmacy
Assistant Dean for Experiential Education
Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
Dr. Singh is a founding faculty at SSPPS, certified diabetes educator and co- founder of the Diabetes Self-Management Clinic at UC San Diego Health Primary Care Clinics. She is also the Assistant Dean for Experiential Education. Her clinical expertise is in diabetes education and management and ambulatory medicine. She has initiated and developed clinics in Pharmacotherapy, Tobacco Cessation, Diabetes Management, Hypertension Management, and Medicare Part D. In addition, she has practiced in an Asthma Clinic, Anticoagulation Clinic, Geriatric Assessment Team, and an Adult Internal Medicine Clinic. Dr. Singh co-founded and runs a nationally accredited Diabetes Self-Management program, where she provides weekly diabetes education and training to patients with Type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes at the Family and Sports Medicine Clinic in La Jolla and Family Medicine Clinic at Scripps Ranch.
B.Pharm. and Diploma in Hospital Pharmacy University of Sydney, Australia; Pharm.D., University of Iowa; Pharmacy Practice Residency, UCSF; Certified in Physical Assessment in Patient Care Management, Nova Southeastern University; Smoking Cessation (APhA), and Immunization Delivery; Board Certified in Ambulatory Care Pharmacy; Certified Diabetes Educator, Certified Lifestyle Coach, Advanced Practice Pharmacist.
Awards and Honors:
Innovation in Teaching Award, SSPPS (2017), Teacher of the Year, SSPPS Dean’s Award (2014); UCSD Student-Run Free Clinic Pharmacy Faculty Leadership Award; APhA-APPM Presentation Merit Award for Innovative Practice in the student poster category (co-author), 2008; UCSD Student-Run Free Clinic Project Award for Attending Pharmacists 2007-2008; Faculty and Staff Excellence Award, UCSD SSPPS Class of 2006; Teacher of the Year, Wayne State University, Michigan (2000); Member of Rho Chi Honor Society.
Assistant Dean for Experiential Education, Past-Chair, SSPPS APPE/IPPE Course Committee (SAICC) ; Past-Chair, Faculty Development Committee; Past-Chair, Non-Salaried/Voluntary Ad Hoc Committee, Chair, Faculty Awards Sub-Committee; Chair, Clinical Faculty Search Committee.
- Pharmacy: Pharmacy Practice (SPPS 201, 202, 203)
- Diabetes Elective SPPS 280
- Geriatric Pharmacotherapy Elective SPPS 265
- Diabetes Self-Management Clinic (APPE and residency preceptor)
- Mentorship of student graduate research projects
- Cofounded a Diabetes Self-Management program which improves clinical outcomes, patient satisfaction, and is reimbursed by Medicare and other health insurances.
- Initiated a Diabetes and Cardiovascular Clinic within an Internal Medicine practice where physicians refer difficult to control diabetes, hypertension and/or hyperlipidemia patients to the clinic.
- Improvement of glucose control and reductions in AIC in poorly controlled diabetes patients, Detroit, MI.
- Hirsch JD et al. (2014) Primary Care-based, Pharmacist-physician Collaborative Medication- therapy Management of Hypertension: A Randomized, Pragmatic Trial. Clin Ther 36:1244-54
- Taras H et al (2014) Medications at school: disposing of pharmaceutical waste. J School Health 84(3) 160-7
- Watanabe JH et al (2015). Are Medicare and Medicare-Medicaid Insulin Users Different? Comparisons in a Nationally Representative Claims Database [Abstract]. ADA Scientific Sessions.
- Pham et al (2016). Combining peer-created videos with lecture to teach professional readiness for advanced pharmacy practice experiences. California Health-System Pharmacists Seminar [Abstract]
- Mnatzaganian C et al (2017). Health literacy training: enhancing students’ knowledge and confidence using an interactive, multi-faceted approach [Abstract]. AACP Annual meeting.
- Park E et al (2017). Relationships between known risk factors for osteoporosis and heel bone mineral density in Asian populations. California Pharmacist, Winter 64(1):41-48.
- Singh RF et al (2017) An innovative process for systematic review of experiential courses and site visits. Am Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting [Abstract]
- Singh RF et al (2017). Perceptions of professionalism and preparedness for introductory practice experiences using student peer-created videos. California Health-System Pharmacists Seminar [Abstract]
- Mnatzaganian C et al (2018) Implementation of a multi-station diabetes self-care workshop incorporating standardized competency assessments. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) Annual Meeting [Abstract]
- Kalendareva Y et al (2018). Evaluating spaced education for long-term retention of teaching concepts in pharmacy preceptors. California Society of Health System Pharmacists Seminar [Abstract]
- Developing interventions that will improve clinical outcomes for patients with diabetes.