Health Sciences Clinical Professor of Pharmacy
Associate Dean for Experiential Education
Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
Dr. Singh is a founding faculty at SSPPS, certified diabetes care and education specialist and co- founder of the Diabetes Management and Education Clinic at UC San Diego Health (UCSDH) primary care clinics. She is also the Associate Dean for Experiential Education. Her clinical expertise is in diabetes management and education. She initiated and developed clinics in Pharmacotherapy, Tobacco Cessation, Diabetes Management, Hypertension Management, and Medicare Part D. In addition, she has practiced in an Asthma Clinic, Anticoagulation Clinic, Geriatric Assessment Team, and an Adult Internal Medicine Clinic. Dr. Singh co-founded and runs a nationally accredited Diabetes Management and Education program, where she manages patients with poorly controlled type 2 diabetes for primary care and specialty providers at UCSDH.
Education: B.Pharm. and Diploma in Hospital Pharmacy University of Sydney, Australia; Pharm.D., University of Iowa; Pharmacy Practice Residency, UCSF; Certified in Physical Assessment in Patient Care Management, Nova Southeastern University; Smoking Cessation (APhA), and Immunization Delivery; Board Certified in Ambulatory Care Pharmacy; Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist; Certified Lifestyle Coach.
Awards and Honors: AACP Award of Excellence in Experiential Education (2021), SSPPS Innovation in Teaching Award (2017), Teacher of the Year, SSPPS Dean’s Award (2014); UCSD Student-Run Free Clinic Pharmacy Faculty Leadership Award; APhA-APPM Presentation Merit Award for Innovative Practice in the student poster category (co-author), 2008; UCSD Student-Run Free Clinic Project Award for Attending Pharmacists 2007-2008; Faculty and Staff Excellence Award, UCSD SSPPS Class of 2006; Teacher of the Year, Wayne State University, Michigan (2000); Member of Rho Chi Honor Society.
Leadership Experience: Associate Dean for Experiential Education, Past-Chair, SSPPS APPE/IPPE Course Committee (SAICC) ; Past-Chair, Faculty Development Committee; Past-Chair, Non-Salaried/Voluntary Ad Hoc Committee, Chair, Faculty Awards Sub-Committee; Chair, Clinical Faculty Search Committee.
- Pharmacy: Pharmacy Practice (SPPS 202)
- Diabetes Elective SPPS 280
- Geriatric Pharmacotherapy Elective SPPS 265
- Diabetes Management and Education Clinic (IPPE/APPE and PGY1 Ambulatory Care residency preceptor)
- Mentorship of student graduate research projects
- Cofounded a Diabetes Management and Education program which improves clinical outcomes, patient satisfaction, and is reimbursed by Medicare and other health insurances.
- Initiated a Diabetes and Cardiovascular Clinic within an Internal Medicine practice where physicians refer difficult to control diabetes, hypertension and/or hyperlipidemia patients to the clinic.
- Improvement of glucose control and reductions in AIC in poorly controlled diabetes patients, Detroit, MI.
- Mnatzaganian C et al (2017). Health literacy training: enhancing students’ knowledge and confidence using an interactive, multi-faceted approach [Abstract]. AACP Annual meeting.
- Park E et al (2017). Relationships between known risk factors for osteoporosis and heel bone mineral density in Asian populations. California Pharmacist, Winter 64(1):41-48.
- Singh RF et al (2017) An innovative process for systematic review of experiential courses and site visits. Am Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting [Abstract]
- Singh RF et al (2017). Perceptions of professionalism and preparedness for introductory practice experiences using student peer-created videos. California Health-System Pharmacists Seminar [Abstract]
- Mnatzaganian C et al (2018) Implementation of a multi-station diabetes self-care workshop incorporating standardized competency assessments. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) Annual Meeting [Abstract]
- Kalendareva Y et al (2018). Evaluating spaced education for long-term retention of teaching concepts in pharmacy preceptors. California Society of Health System Pharmacists Seminar [Abstract]
- Singh RF et al (2018). Evaluation of a short, interactive diabetes self- management program by pharmacists for type 2 diabetes. BMC Res Notes 2018 11: 828. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13104-018-3952-y Available at: https://rdcu.be/bb181
- Awdishu L et al (2019). Advancing pharmacist collaborative care within academic health systems. Pharmacy 2019, 7(4), 142; https://doi.org/10.3390/pharmacy7040142
- Luli A et al (2019). Assessing student knowledge and confidence following a prescription workshop module. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting [Abstract]
- Nguyen K et al (2019). Leveraging student leadership involvement in creating and administering a Co-Curricular course. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting [Abstract]
- Hart LA et al (2020). Enhancing pharmacy education through advancing pharmacist collaborative care models. AACP School Poster AACP Annual Meeting [Abstract].
- Mnatzaganian C et al (2020). Effectiveness of video podcasts in a self-study pharmaceutical calculations module. Am J Pharm Educ 2020; 84 (12) Article 7977. http://www.ajpe.org/cgi/content/abstract/ajpe7977.
- Singh RF et al (2021). Association between number of clinical patient-facing advanced pharmacy practice experiences and PGY1 residency match outcomes. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) Annual Meeting, July 19-22, 2021 [Abstract]
- Luli A et al (2021). Development, implementation and qualitative outcomes of a virtual experiential elective during a pandemic. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) Annual Meeting, July 19-22, 2021 [Abstract].
- S Truong Y et al (2021). Evaluating GLP-1 RA & SGLT-2 inhibitor use in a free clinic population with T2D & ASCVD/high risk for ASCVD. California Society of Health System Pharmacists (CSHP) Seminar, November 2-6, 2021, Anaheim, CA [ Abstract].
- Sepassi A et al (2022). Risk of Negative Health Outcomes and high costs for people with diabetes and unmet psychological needs in the United States. Diabetes Spectr. 2022; ds210019. https://diabetesjournals.org/spectrum/article/doi/10.2337/ds21-0019/139216/Risk-of-Negative-Health-Outcomes-and-High-Costs
- Developing interventions that will improve outcomes for patients with diabetes.