Cardiology and Acute Care Internal Medicine
Health Sciences Associate Clinical Professor of Pharmacy
Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
Dr. Yam is currently the Director of Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences (APPE) at SSPPS. He is also a course chair in the Therapeutics course series for P3 pharmacy students. His clinical practice is in the area of cardiology and acute care medicine where he precepts pharmacy students and residents in a heart failure clinic and acute care internal medicine rotation. In his clinical practice, he holds a scope of practice in heart failure and provides direct patient care to Veterans with a variety of cardiovascular diseases. He holds board certification in Pharmacotherapy (BCPS) and Cardiology (BCCP) and serves as a member on the Board of Pharmacy Specialties Pharmacotherapy Specialty Council.
His primary research interests include investigations into novel therapies for heart failure and evaluating the use of remote monitoring technologies to improve patient outcomes. He is a principal investigator on studies evaluating medication regimen complexity, medication adherence and the impact of multidisciplinary care models on improving outcomes in patients with heart failure. He is also an active co-investigator on industry sponsored clinical trials evaluating novel heart failure therapies.
Dr. Yam has served as an invited speaker at several local, national and international forums devoted to improving care for patients with a variety of cardiovascular diseases including: heart failure, acute coronary syndromes, anticoagulation and strategies to improve medication adherence.
Doctor of Pharmacy (2004) University of Rhode Island; PGY1 Acute Care Pharmacy Practice Residency and PGY2 Ambulatory Care Specialty Residency (2004-2006) University of Kentucky; Health-System Pharmacy Administration Residency (2007) Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. American Foundation for Pharmaceutical Education (AFPE) Fellowship in Pharmacotherapy (2011); Masters of Advanced Studies in Clinical Research with emphasis in biostatistics (2012), University of California, San Diego.
Awards and Honors:
Class of 2018 SSPPS Teacher of the Year; 2017 ACCP Geriatrics PRN Outstanding Poster Award; Class of 2015 SSPPS Teacher of the Year; Class of 2012 SSPPS Preceptor of the Year; UOP APPE Distinguished Service Award (2012); AFPE Faculty Development Fellowship Award (2011); University of Kentucky Pharmacy Resident Impact and Research Award (2006); ASHP Pharmacy Resident Health Services Research Grant (2006); ACCP Resident/Fellow Best Paper Finalist (2005); Rho Chi Honor Society (2002).
Director, Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences (2018-Present); Director, Pharm.D. Student Required Research Projects (2013-Present); SSPPS VA Track Rotation Coordinator (2010- Present); Course Chair Therapeutics (2012-Present); Program Coordinator and Supervisor Critical Care Services at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center (2007-10); Captain in United States Army Reserve, Veteran of Operation Enduring Freedom – Afghanistan (2008-09); University of Kentucky Chief Resident (2005-06).
- Co-Chair and Lecturer, Pharmacy Therapeutics (SPPS212B)
- Lecturer, Pharmacy Practice (SPPS 201)
- Acute Care and Ambulatory Care APPEs (SPPS 400A and SPPS 401A)
- Lecturer, Principles of Pharmacology and Physiology (SPPS 247)
- Developed pharmacist-directed outpatient heart failure medication management clinic.
- Enhanced understanding of the impact of medication regimen complexity on heart failure outcomes.
- Evaluated the role of novel heart failure therapies in the treatment of acute and chronic heart failure.
- Evaluated the safety of triple antithrombotic therapy in patient’s post-acute coronary syndrome requiring anticoagulation.
- Yam FK (2014). Digoxin in Heart Failure: The debate continues. Cardiology-Today.
- Mo, Y. and Yam FK (2015). Recent advances in the development of antidotes for target specific oral anticoagulants. Pharmacotherapy. 2015 Feb;35(2):198-207.
- Yam, FK (2016) Changes in medication regimen complexity and the risk for 90-day hospital readmission and/or emergency department visits in U.S. Veterans with heart failure. Res Social Adm Pharm. 12(5):713-721.
- Mo, Y. and Yam FK. (2017 Rational Use of Second-Generation Antipsychotics for the Treatment of ICU Delirium: A Neuropharmacological Approach. J Pharm Pract. 30(1):121-129.
- Lai S., Momper JD, Yam FK. (2017) Evaluation of the effect of torsemide on warfarin dosage requirements. Int J Clin Pharm doi:10.1007/s11096-017-0479-6
- Tsai HH et al. (2017). Uncertain Associations of Major Bleeding and Concurrent Use of Antiplatelet Agents and Chinese Medications: A Nested Case-Crossover Study. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 29417176.
Selected Recent Publications (view more)
- Clinical trial investigations in novel heart failure therapies
- Clinical research evaluating the use of remote monitoring technologies in heart failure