Where discoveries are delivered.℠

External Resources:

Frequently Asked Questions

About the Seven-Year B.S./Pharm.D. Program

Will students who enter UCSD as either freshmen or transfers be eligible for the seven-year program?

A: No, unfortunately only students who enter UCSD as freshmen will be eligible to apply for the program. Transfer students will need to apply to the School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences at the more "normal" time, during the summer before the year they will graduate with the B.S.

Does a freshman applicant to UCSD have to do something special on the UC application to indicate interest in the seven-year B.S./Pharm.D. program?

A: No, there is no special way in which to indicate interest in the program at the time of application to UC.

When will a UCSD student apply to the seven-year program?

A: Upon completing a standard first two years as a Pharmacological Chemistry major in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry a student will apply to the program.

What is the deadline for the PharmCAS and Supplemental applications?

A. Both applications are due September 1st of that year's admission cycle.

What courses must a student take in those two years?

A: A student should complete the following course work at UCSD by the end of summer of the cycle they are applying to:

  • Chemistry-CHEM 6A, 6B, 6C & 7L
  • Organic Chemistry- CHEM 40A, 40B, 40C, 43A/AM & 143B (Prior to 2017, students would have needed to complete CHEM 140A, 140B, 140C, 143A & 143B)
  • Calculus-MATH 20A, 20B, 20C, 20D
  • Physics-PHYS 2A, 2B, (2C or 2D) & 2CL
  • Biology-BILD 1 & 2
  • CHEM 92 (1-Unit Undergraduate Pharmacology Seminar)

In addition, students will take general education and writing/humanities courses as required by their college.

Is there a special college I should apply to?

A: No, all six of UCSD's colleges will provide excellent preparation for entrance to the seven-year degree program.

Is there a special major I should declare?

A: Yes, a student must be a Pharmacological Chemistry major in order to be eligible to apply.

What if I come into UCSD as a freshman with a major other than Chemistry?

A: Then at least one quarter prior to applying to the B.S./Pharm.D. program you must officially change your major to Pharmacological Chemistry.

If I take all the right courses, am I guaranteed a spot in the program?

A: No, there will be a competitive application process. The SPPS Admissions Committee will make offers based on the application materials and interviews.

What if I don't get accepted to the seven-year program?

A: Then you should finish out your undergraduate program and apply to the SPPS at the usual time, entering after you graduate with your B.S.

For more information regarding the Seven-year B.S./Pharm.D. Program please go here: http://pharmacy.ucsd.edu/prospective/programs.shtml