Health Sciences Clinical Professor
Associate Dean for Experiential Education
Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
Dr. Mnatzaganian’s primary research interests are in pharmacy education and wellness, experiential education, and diabetes. She practices at the UC San Diego Health Diabetes Management and Education Clinic.
Education: Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, University of Arizona, (2003); Doctor of Pharmacy, University of Arizona, (2011); Community Pharmacy Practice Residency, The Daniel K Inouye College of Pharmacy at University of Hawaii-Hilo The Daniel K Inouye College of Pharmacy, (2011- 2012); Board Certification in Ambulatory Care Pharmacy, (BCACP), (2014)
Awards and Honors: American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Teacher of the Year Recognition (2023) , Class of 2023 UC San Diego SSPPS Faculty of the Year (2023), UC San Diego Barbara and Paul Saltman Campus Distinguished Teaching Award (2020), UC San Diego SSPPS Excellence in Teaching Award (2020), Class of 2022 UC San Diego SSPPS Faculty of the Year (2019), National Center of Leadership in Academic Medicine (NCLAM) (2018), 18th Nonprescription Medicines Academy Selected Attendee (2018), Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Hawaii-Hilo Daniel K Inouye College of Pharmacy (2014), Phi Lambda Sigma Pharmacy Leadership Society (2013), Rho Chi Honor Society (2013), University of Hawaii-Hilo Daniel K Inouye College of Pharmacy AACP Delegate (2013), International Pharmaceutical Students’ Federation Senior of the Year (2011)
Leadership Experience: Associate Dean for Experiential Education (2023-current), Director, SSPPS Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences (APPE) (2022-2023), Co-Chair, UC San Diego SSPPS Admissions Committee (2020-2022); Chair, Faculty Engagement and Wellness Committee, UC San Diego SSPPS (2021-2023); Director, UC San Diego SSPPS PGY1 Community Residency (2016-2021); Chair, UC San Diego SSPPS PGY1 Community Residency Advisory Committee (2016-2021); CAPSLead, Faculty Adviser; ACTION, Faculty Advisor.
- Pharmacy Practice (Fall Co-Chair and Fall-Spring Calculations Chair, Instructor)
- Pharmacy Therapeutics (Instructor)
- Diabetes Care Elective (Instructor)
- Geriatric Pharmacotherapy Elective (Instructor)
- Ambulatory Care for APPE students and PGY1 residents
- Melton T, Yamanaka E, David-Nickolay C, Nguyen V, Feng R, Samaan M, Vu A, Hollenbach K, Mnatzaganian CL. Performance metrics and perceived impact on safety, errors, and job satisfaction among California community and outpatient pharmacists. Journal of Contemporary Pharmacy Practice. 2023;70(1):15-21. doi: 10.37901/jcphp22-00010
- Mnatzaganian CL, Lee KC, Singh RF, Yam FK, Morello CM, Lorentz S, Shapiro D. Implementation and impact of a fourth-year student pharmacist wellness series pilot on perceived stress support. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2022; 14(12):1549-1554.
- Surofchy DD, Mnatzaganian CL, Sarino L, Kuo G. (2021) Perceptions and attitudes of pharmacogenomics through the lens of community pharmacists and patients. Journal of Contemporary Pharmacy Practice. 68(1):21-30.
- Nguyen K et al (2021) The role of intern pharmacists in implementing innovative and sustainable practices to enhance rates of non-influenza immunizations. Journal of Contemporary Pharmacy Practice. 67(4):34-39.
- Mnatzaganian CL, Singh RF, Best BM, Morello CM. (2020) Effectiveness of providing video podcasts to pharmacy students in a self-study pharmaceutical calculations module. American Journal of Pharmacy Education. 84(12):7977.
- Mnatzaganian CL, Atayee RS, Namba JM, Brandl K, Lee KC. (2020) The effect of sleep quality, sleep components, and environmental sleep factors on core curriculum exam scores among pharmacy students. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 12:119-126.
- Awdishu L et al (2019) Advancing pharmacist collaborative care within academic health systems. Pharmacy. 7(142).
- Mnatzaganian, CL, Fricovsky, E., Best BM, (2017) An Interactive, Multifaceted Approach to Enhancing Pharmacy Students' Health Literacy Knowledge and Confidence. AJPE 81 (2):32
- Juarez DT et al. (2014) Significance of HbA1c and its measurement in the diagnosis of diabetes mellitus: US experience. Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity: Targets & Therapy. (7):487-494.
- Mnatzaganian CL et al. (2015) Association between sugar cane burning and acute respiratory illness on the island of Maui Environmental Health14:81
- Mnatzaganian CL et al (2015). Provider status for pharmacist: why it matters for other healthcare providers. Hawaii J. Med Public Health. 4:319-21.
- Mnatzaganian CL et al (2016). Allergic rhinitis, cough, and cold. Brown S, Shapiro K, editors. RxPrep Course Book: A Comprehensive Course for the NAPLEX and Clinical Content for the CPJE. RxPrep, Inc. 476-486
- 12 years’ experience in ambulatory care pharmacy using innovative collaborative agreements with inter-disciplinary health care teams as well as experience in Medication Therapy Management to improve patient outcomes.
- Innovations and quality improvement in experiential education.