Health Sciences Clinical Professor
Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
Dr. Painter joined the faculty at the UCSD Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences in September 2009 where he is a course coordinator and teaches in the Pharmacy Practice courses. Dr. Painter is a Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist and co-director of clinical pharmacy services at UCSD Family Medicine Clinics. He also provides remote care via telehealth.
Dr. Painter’s research areas of focus include measuring the impact of pharmacist interventions in diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, prescription drug abuse, suicide prevention, and safe medication usage in patient populations.
Education: Completion of pre-pharmacy requirements from Old Dominion University 1999; Pharm.D. from Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) 2003; Ambulatory Care Residency in Cardiovascular Risk Reduction at VCU 2004; Certified in Immunization Delivery 2001, Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist 2007, Certified in Pharmaceutical Care for Patients with Diabetes 2007.
Awards and Honors: Phi Lambda Sigma 2007, UC San Diego Pharmacy Week Certificate of Recognition 2010, NCLAM 2011, UCSD WOW Factor 2011, Cardinal Health Generation RX Champion (CPhA) 2013, Outstanding Faculty Preceptor (UCSD APhA-ASP/CPhA) 2013, Volunteer Recognition Program (ACCP Endocrine and Metabolism PRN) 2013, Generation RX Award of Excellence (APhA) 2015, Fellow of the Association of Diabetes Care and Education Specialists 2018, Excellence in Innovation Award (CPhA) 2020, Fellow of the American College of Clinical Pharmacists (ACCP) 2021.
Leadership Experience:Board of Directors, Association of Diabetes Care Education Specialists; Treasurer, Association of Diabetes Care and Education Specialists; Leadership Team; California Association of Diabetes Care and Education Specialists; Member, San Diego County Prescription Drug Abuse Task Force Executive Committee, Co-Chair San Diego County Prescription Drug Abuse Task Force Healthcare Committee; President, Southern California College of Clinical Pharmacy.
- Pharmacy Practice (Spring Chair, Fall-Instructor)
- Therapeutics (Instructor)
- Prescription Drug Abuse Elective (Chair)
- Diabetes Care Elective (Instructor)
- Ambulatory Care/Family Medicine Preceptor for APPE students and PGY1 Ambulatory Care and Community residents
- Established role of ambulatory care/family medicine pharmacist.
- Effective use of medications in family medicine patients.
- Development and expansion of family medicine clerkships for pharmacy students.
- Painter, NA. (2013) Abuse of Prescription Drugs. Audio Digest Foundation. 61 (5).
- Painter, NA. Baltz J, Bowers A, Sanchez I, Durdock K, Yorke K. (2014) Integrating Diabetes Education in the Chronic Care Model. American Association of Diabetes Educators Practice.
- Painter NA. Diabetes. In RxPrep Course Book: A Comprehensive Course for the NAPLEX and CPJE (2015 Edition). RX Prep, Inc, San Diego.
- Dickinson J, Kocurek B, Painter N, Reed A. Competencies for Diabetes Educators and Diabetes Paraprofessionals. AADE Practice Documents; 2016.
- Painter NA, Sisson E. (2016) An Overview of Concentrated Insulin Products. Diabetes Spectrum 29(3): 136-140.
- Painter NA, Kuo GM, Collins SP, Palomino YL, Lee KC. (2018) Pharmacist training in suicide prevention. J American Pharmacists Association. 58(2), 199-204.
- Lev R, Lee K, Painter N. (2018) The Impact of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency Schedule Changes for Hydrocodone and Tramadol on California Prescriptions Patterns. J of Contemporary Pharmacy Practice. 65 (1), 36-40.
- Painter N, He JJ, Agyapong T. Pharmacist Intention to Provide Medication Disposal Education. J of Contemporary Pharmacy Practice. December 2018; 65 (4), 17-23.
- Hsu A, Painter NA. Probable Interaction between Warfarin and Inhaled and Oral Administration of Cannabis. J of Pharmacy Practice. July 18, 2019.
- Awdishu L, Singh RF, Saunders I, Yam FK, Hirsh JD, Lorentz S, Atayee RS, Ma JD, Tsunoda SM, Namba J, Mnatzaganian CL, Painter NA, Watanabe JH, Lee KC, Daniels CD, Morello CM. Advancing Pharmacist Collaborative Care within Academic Health Systems. Pharmacy 2019, 7(4), 142.
- Coon SA, Hill LG, Hutchison RW, Arnold LM, Jarrett JB, Ottney AR, Oung AB, Painter NA, Smith MA, Stranges PM, Tran TH, Winans ARM, Bratberg JP. Mobilizing pharmacists to address the opioid crisis: A joint opinion of the ambulatory care and adult medicine practice and research networks of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy. J Am Coll Clin Pharm. 2020; 3: 1493– 1513
Selected Recent Publications (view more)
- Developing guidelines for the use of diabetes and cardiovascular medications.
- Developing educational workshops for diabetes and cardiovascular disease patients.
- Assessing impact of collaborative care on patient outcomes.
- Developing service interventions that will improve clinical outcomes for patients with diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, asthma, and other chronic diseases.