Mr. John Jones is an expert on managed care pharmacy practice, law, regulation and policy. Until recently, he served as the Senior Vice President of Professional Practice and Pharmacy Policy at OptumRx, a UnitedHealth Group Company, in Irvine, California. Currently, Mr. Jones serves as on the Board of Directors of URAC and was its chairman from 2012-2014.
Mr. Jones is licensed as both a pharmacist and an attorney. He has broad experience with over forty years of pharmacy practice ranging from chain and independent community pharmacy to hospital, home infusion and managed care pharmacy. He has applied his legal skills in the fields of managed healthcare legislative policy and regulation, health insurance, healthcare contracting, and interstate regulatory compliance for prescription mail service and pharmacy benefit management companies.
Since 2010, Mr. Jones has taught Pharmacy Law and Ethics at UC San Diego Skaggs School of Pharmacy. Considered an expert in his field, he has been invited to lecture at numerous schools of pharmacy regarding policy, legal and regulatory issues.
School of Pharmacy and license to practice as pharmacist (R.Ph.)
Idaho State University (1975)
Juris Doctorate, University of San Francisco (1982)
Law and Ethics (SPPS 204)
Awards and Honors
“Rho Chi Honor Society” (1974), “Employee of the Year”, University of San Francisco (1999), “President’s Circle Award” PacifiCare (1999), “Excellence in Pharmaceutical Care” Pharmaceutical Care Management Association (2002), “Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy Distinguished Service Award” (2004, “Fellow of the Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy” (2004), “Executive in Residence” Idaho State University (2004), “Sprirt of Volunteerism Award” Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy (2005), “Outstanding Leadership Award” URAC (2007), “Executive in Residence” Western University of Health Sciences College of Pharmacy (2010), “Steven G. Avery Award” Foundation of Managed Care Pharmacy (2010).
- “Measurement of Medication Adherence”, Pharmacy Benefits Management Institute Meeting, Phoenix, AZ (2010)
- “GSK Panel on Healthcare Reform Implementation”, Glaxo Smithkline Executive Management Meeting, Herndon, VA (2010)
- “Health Care Reform and Its Impact on Pharmacy Practice”, Executive in Residence Address, Western University of Health Sciences College of Pharmacy, Pomona, CA (2010)
- “Detecting and Preventing Prescription Drug Fraud”, Pharmacy Benefits Academy, Chicago, IL (2011)
- “Transitions of Care” & “Comparative Effectiveness Research”, Foundation of Managed Care Pharmacy, Washington, DC (2011)
- “California State Board of Pharmacy Pharmacists-in-charge Overview”, Western School of Health Sciences School of pharmacy, Pomona, CA (2012)
- “Inside the PBM Industry”, International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans, San Diego, CA (2013)