Health Sciences Clinical Professor
Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
Dr. Painter’s research areas of focus include measuring the impact of pharmacist interventions in diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, collaborative care, and safe medication usage in patient populations. Recently, Dr. Painter has been involved in the clinical implementation of pharmacogenomics in primary care.
Dr. Painter joined the faculty at the UCSD Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences in September 2009 where he will be teaching in the Pharmacy Practice courses and is co-director of clinical pharmacy services at UCSD Family Medicine Clinics.
Completion of pre-pharmacy requirements from Old Dominion University 1999; Pharm.D. from Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) 2003; ASHP Ambulatory Care Residency in Cardiovascular Risk Reduction at VCU 2004; Certified in Immunization Delivery 2001, Certified Diabetes Educator 2007, Certified in Pharmaceutical Care for Patients with Diabetes 2007
Awards and Honors:
Phi Lambda Sigma 2007, UCSD Pharmacy Week Certificate of Recognition 2010, NCLAM 2011, UCSD WOW Factor 2011, Cardinal Health Generation RX Champion (CPhA) 2013, Outstanding Faculty Preceptor (UCSD APhA-ASP/CPhA) 2013, Volunteer Recognition Program (ACCP Endocrine and Metabolism PRN) 2013, Generation RX Award of Excellence (APhA) 2015.
Board of Directors, American Association of Diabetes Educators; Treasurer, American Association of Diabetes Educators; Leadership Team; California Association of Diabetes Educators; Member, San Diego County Prescription Drug Abuse Task Force Executive Committee, San Diego County Prescription Drug Abuse Task Force Pharmacy Committee; President, Southern California College of Clinical Pharmacy; First ambulatory care pharmacist at Loma Linda University to establish a collaborative practice agreement with physicians with prescribing authority.
- Pharmacy Practice (SPPS 201, 202, 203)
- Medicare Part D Outreach Elective (SPPS 272)
- Prescription Drug Abuse Elective (SPPS 279)
- Established role of ambulatory care/family medicine pharmacist.
- Effective use of medications in family medicine patients.
- Development and expansion of family medicine clerkships for pharmacy students.
- Painter, NA. (2013) Abuse of Prescription Drugs. Audio Digest Foundation. 61 (5).
- Painter, NA. Baltz J, Bowers A, Sanchez I, Durdock K, Yorke K. (2014) Integrating Diabetes Education in the Chronic Care Model. American Association of Diabetes Educators Practice.
- Painter NA. Diabetes. In RxPrep Course Book: A Comprehensive Course for the NAPLEX and CPJE (2015 Edition). RX Prep, Inc, San Diego.
- Dickinson J, Kocurek B, Painter N, Reed A. Competencies for Diabetes Educators and Diabetes Paraprofessionals. AADE Practice Documents; 2016.
- Painter NA, Sisson E. (2016) An Overview of Concentrated Insulin Products. Diabetes Spectrum 29(3): 136-140.
- Painter NA, Kuo GM, Collins SP, Palomino YL, Lee KC. (2018) Pharmacist training in suicide prevention. J American Pharmacists Association. 58(2), 199-204.
- Lev R, Lee K, Painter N. (2018) The Impact of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency Schedule Changes for Hydrocodone and Tramadol on California Prescriptions Patterns. J of Contemporary Pharmacy Practice. 65 (1), 36-40.
Selected Recent Publications (view more)
Developing guidelines for the use of diabetes and cardiovascular medications.
Developing educational workshops for diabetes and cardiovascular disease patients.
Assessing impact of collaborative care on patient outcomes.
Developing service interventions that will improve clinical outcomes for patients with diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, asthma, and other chronic diseases.