Transitions of Care/Critical Care
Health Sciences Associate Clinical Professor of Pharmacy
Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
Dr. Namba is currently a Transitions of Care pharmacist at UC San Diego Healthcare System. Prior to joining the faculty at UCSD SSPPS, Dr. Namba served as the medical ICU pharmacist at UCSD Hillcrest hospital and as a faculty preceptor for the ICU and cardiology rotations.
Her primary research interests reside within acute care (specifically critical care and heart failure), resuscitation, and transitions of care. She is also interested in the role of simulation in pharmacist training.
Dr. Namba joined the faculty at the UCSD Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences in February 2012.
B.S. Biology, University of California, Irvine (2000); Pharm.D., University of California, San Francisco (2004); PGY1 Pharmacy Practice Residency, University of Washington (2004-2005); PGY2 Critical Care Specialty Residency, University of California, San Diego Medical Center (2005-2006); Board Certification in Pharmacotherapy Specialty (BCPS) 2006.
Awards and Honors:
UC San Diego Saltman Distinguished Teaching Award for Non-Senate Members (2019); SSPPS Innovation in Teaching Award (2018); American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) Teacher of the Year (2016); American Society of Health- Systems Pharmacists New Preceptor Award (2010); Pharmacist Core Values Award – UCSD Medical Center (2010); Volunteer Faculty Member of the Year Award, SSPPS Associated Student Body (2009); Preceptor of the Year Award, UCSD Pharmacy Practice Residency Program (2008).
Assistant Director, Interprofessional Education and Simulation (2016-present); Director, PGY2 Pharmacy Residency in Critical Care, UCSD Medical Center (2009- 2014); Co-chair, Pharmacists’ Advanced Resuscitation Training and Code Blue Certification Program, UCSD Medical Center (2009-present); Co-chair, Anticoagulation Committee, UCSD Medical Center (2012-2014); Serves as member of several committees at UCSD Medical Center.
- Co-chair ICU elective (SPPS 274)
- Analgesia, Sedation, Delirium, Paralytics; Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (SPPS 274)
- Dyslipidemia (SPPS 247)
- Pharmacist's Patient Care Process, Fever, Medication Adherence, Special Populations (SPPS 201)
- Adrenal Disorders (SPPS 212A)
- Sepsis and Septic Shock (SPPS 212D)
- Stroke (SPPS 212B, SPPS 249)
- Shock (SPPS 212B)
- Interprofessional Education Event co-coordinator
- Simulation-Based Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experiences/OSCEs
- Co-developed Objective Structured Clinical Exercises/Examination (OSCE) program at SSPPS
- Co-developed an interprofessional education event simulation exercise in conjunction with UC San Diego School of Medicine and USD School of Nursing
- Co-developed and implemented protocols for the use of analgesia, sedation and delirium in ICU patients at UC San Diego Health. Participated in the development of county-wide guidelines with the San Diego County Patient Safety Council.
- Co-developed a simulation-based training program for pharmacists and pharmacy residents in Advanced Resuscitation Training
- Ramos, et al. (2010). Maintaining glycemic control when transitioning from infusion insulin: A protocol driven, multidisciplinary approach. J Hosp Med. 5:446-451.
- Eng AJ. et al (2014). High-fidelity simulation training in advanced resuscitation for pharmacy residents. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education; 2014; 78(3) Article 59.
- Namba JM, et al (2014). Pharmacotherapy. In: Morris T, Ries A, Bordow R, eds. Manual of Clinical Problems in Pulmonary Medicine, 7th edition.
- Zheng A, et al (2015). A Large Scale Interprofessional Simulation Experience for Medical, Nursing, and Pharmacy Students. MedEdPORTAL Publications 10018.
- Atayee R, Awdishu L, Namba J. (2016) Using simulation to improve first year pharmacy students' ability to identify medication errors involving the top 100 prescription medications. Am J Pharm Educ. 80(5):86.
- Namba J, Macauley K, Zheng A, et al (2016). A large-scale interprofessional simulation experience, module 2: what happens in Vegas does not stay in Vegas. MedEdPORTAL Publications. 2374-8265.10331
- Hurst S, Macaulay K, Awdishu L, Sweeney K, Hutchins S, Namba JM, Johnson M, Wallace P, Garman K, Zheng A (2017). An Autoethnographic Study of Interprofessional Education Partnerships Authors. Journal of Interprofessional Practice and Education.
- Awdishu L, et. al (2018) 360-Degree Feedback Model to Enhance Interprofessional Learning. MedEdPublish,7, , 16.
- Kim S, Namba J, Nguyen T, Goodman AM, Saunders IM. (2020) Safety and Efficacy of Direct Oral Anticoagulants for Venous Thromboembolism and Stroke Prophylaxis in Patients with Hematologic Malignancies. Journal of Oncology Pharmacy Practice 26(2):351-360.
- Awdishu L, et. a (2019) Advancing pharmacist collaborative care within academic health systems. Pharmacy (7) 142.
- Mnatzaganian CL, Atayee RS, Namba JM, Brandl K, Lee KC., (2020) The effect of sleep quality, sleep components and environmental sleep factors on core curriculum exam scores among pharmacy students. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 119-126.
- 14 years clinical experience in critically ill cardiology patients and transitions of care
- Examinations into the role of simulation for student pharmacist training and interprofessional education