Pediatrics, Regulatory Compliance, Ambulatory Care, Experiential Education
Dr. Schell has more than 35 years’ experience in clinical pharmacology and pharmaceutical science, including overseeing pharmacy operations in pediatric and adult hospitals, compounding pharmacy for a health system, medical groups, home infusion, hospice and mail order organizations. He currently works as a manager as a consultant in Pharmacy practice in regulatory, compliance and operational issues. He is an Assistant Clinical Professor at the Skaggs UC San Diego School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences where he teaches Pharmacy Law and Ethics.
Dr. Schell is an expert in multiple areas of hospital pharmacy. He has successfully overseen the installation of the EPIC electronic medical record system at the Rady Children’s Hospital in 2011 and facilitated the construction and move of the Sharp Grossmont Hospital Pharmacy in 2016 which included the construction of a State of the Art sterile compounding clean room that complies with USP 797 standard.
Dr. Schell also serves on the Sharp Healthcare Institutional Review Board. Appointed soon after he joined Sharp Healthcare, he has reviewed and participated in recommendations to numerous investigational studies ensuring the conform with Federal Safety and Ethical standards.
Dr. Schell has made over a 100 presentations both formal and informal to community groups, pre- and post graduate institution groups and professional groups. He has also been selected as a keynote speaker to several Pharmacy Institutions. Ken holds a Doctorate in Pharmacy from the University of California, San Francisco and has earned his Certification in Privacy Practice from the International Association of Privacy Practitioners.
Dr. Schell has also been involved throughout his entire career in educating Pharmacists in training. He created one of the first Pediatric electives in San Diego for pharmacy students enrolled at UCSF School of Pharmacy at the Children's Hospital in Kearny Mesa. At Kaiser Permanente, Ken served as Residency Coordinator for the San Diego Services area. He is also actively involved in mentoring students and providing insights to undergraduates at the UC San Diego campus though the Health Sciences Mentoring Program.
Education: B.A. Biology (1978) UC San Diego (Revelle College); Pharm.D. (1984) UCSF; Residency in Pharmacy Practice (1985) UCSD Medical Center, Hillcrest)
Awards and Honors (selected): CSHP Dedicated Service Recognition (2019); Alumni of Excellence UCSF (2015); Certified Information Privacy Practitioner (2010); Certified in Healthcare Compliance (2010); President, California State Board of Pharmacy (2008 - 2009); Keynote Speaker Loma Linda School of Pharmacy Graduation. Loma Linda, CA (2008); Appointed to the California State Board of Pharmacy (2003, 2006); Pharmacist of the Year California Society of Health-system Pharmacists (2002); Spotlight on Leadership Award for Recognition of Outstanding Achievement in Leadership. (cont.)
Leadership Experience: Kaiser Permanente, San Diego Services Area (2002); Fellow of the American Society of Health-system Pharmacists (2000); Elected President, California Society of Health System pharmacist (1997); Elected Fellow of the California Society of Hospital Pharmacists (1993); Merck Pharmacist Achievement Award. Recognizing professional and civic achievements of pharmacists. (1993); Pharmacist of the Year San Diego Society of Hospital Pharmacists (1992); Employee of Excellence Award, Children's Hospital and Health Center, San Diego, California (1989); President San Diego Society of Health System Pharmacists (1990); Outstanding Service Award Associated Students University of California San Francisco, California (1982 - 1983); Hugh O' Connor Prize Service to the School of Pharmacy University of California San Francisco, California (1982).
Law and Ethics (SPPS 204)
- Established Pediatric Clinical Pharmacy Elective Service at the Children's Hospital in San Diego. This led to opportunities for 4th year UCSF School of Pharmacy Students to obtain real time clinical pharmacy experience at an acute care pediatric hospital.
- Established the role of pediatric ICU pharmacist at the Children's Hospital in San Diego.
- Assisted in the implementation of the Pediatric HomeCare Service at the Children's Hospital in San Diego.
- Established the HIV Ambulatory Care Pharmacist role at Kaiser Permanente in San Diego.
- Gained approval to establish the Investigational Drug Pharmacist role at Kaiser Permanente in San Diego.
Selected Professional Activities
California State Board of Pharmacy
- Elected Board President for 2 terms.
- Participated in the development of a Patient Centered Label for Prescriptions designed to enhance patient safety and adherence to medication therapy
University of California San Diego
- Participant since 2002 in the UCSD Health and Medical Professions Preparation Program. Served as a mentor to UCSD undergraduates interested in careers in Pharmacy practice.