Hematology/Oncology and Blood & Marrow Transplant
Health Sciences Associate Clinical Professor
Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
Dr. Saunders is a Board Certified Oncology Pharmacist working in the Blood & Marrow Transplant clinics at Moores Cancer Center (MCC). Prior to joining the faculty at SSPPS in August 2014, Dr. Saunders was a Clinical Pharmacy Specialist at MD Anderson Cancer Center (MDACC) and practiced in the department of Stem Cell Transplant and Cellular Therapy (SCTCT) for 6 years.
B.S. in Microbiology & Molecular Genetics, University of California, Los Angeles (2001); Pharm.D., University of California, San Francisco (2006); PGY1 Pharmacy Practice Residency, University of California, San Francisco (2006-2007); PGY2 Oncology Pharmacy Practice Residency, MD Anderson Cancer Center (2007- 2008); Board Certified in Oncology Pharmacy (2009) and re-certified (2016).
Awards and Honors:
- Received Society of Palliative Care Pharmacists: Renee Holder Literature Award, 2020
- Received inaugural HOPA Volunteer Award, 2019
- Selected as Vice-Chair, HOPA BCOP Preparatory Course Task Force, 2019-2020
- Selected as Chair, HOPA BCOP Oversight Committee, 2019-2020
- Selected as Vice-Chair, HOPA BCOP Oversight Committee, 2017-2018
- Appointed to NCCN Guidelines Anti-Emesis Committee, 2018- present
- Appointed to NCCN Chemotherapy Order Set Committee, 2018- present
Dr. Saunders is an active member of the Hematology Oncology Pharmacists Association (HOPA) and has served as a member of the Session Proposal Task Force (2011-2014), Research Abstract Review Work Group (2014-2015), Vice-chair of the Entry-level Competencies in Hematology/Oncology Pharmacy Practice for Graduates of the Doctor of Pharmacy Degree and Post-Graduate Year 1 Pharmacy Practice Residency Task Force for HOPA (2016-2017), Chair of the BCOP Conference Program Planning Committee as Chair (2017-2018), Vice-chair of the BCOP Oversight committee (2018-2019), Chair of the BCOP Oversight committee (2019-2020), Vice-chair of the BCOP Preparatory and Recertification course (2019-2020), and currently serves as a member of the Nominations Subcommittee. Dr. Saunders is also a member of the American Society of Blood and Marrow Transplantation (ASBMT) Pharmacy Special Interest Group and has served on the Advocacy & Policy Working Committee as the chair (2015-2016). She also is an active member of the SWOG (Southwestern Oncology Group) Pharmaceutical Sciences Committee and Drug Information Subcommittee. Dr. Saunders also is a member of the NCCN Chemotherapy Order Templates and Anti-emesis committees.
At SSPPS, Dr. Saunders has served on several committees, including the Committee on Educational Policy and the Co-curricular Task Force. She currently is a member of the Pfizer/UCSD Pharmacology/Oncology Fellowship committee and the Admissions Committee. She was the first oncology clinical pharmacist in the outpatient clinics at MCC in 2014 and has collaborated with cancer center and pharmacy leadership to expand oncology clinical pharmacy services at MCC. She also served the member of the Institutional Review Board- Oncology from 2014-2019 and is a guest member of the Oncology Pharmacy & Therapeutics subcommittee at MCC.
- Co-Chair Therapeutics (SPPS 212C)
- Co-Chair Introduction to Oncology elective (SPPS 288)
- Collaborated with MCC nursing colleagues to develop and implement a chemotherapy class for cancer patients at MCC.
- Collaborated with anoncology pharmacy colleague, to develop a succinct toxicity checklist that utilizes the EPIC EMR to help providers effectively and efficiently assess a patient receiving immunotherapy for immune-mediated toxicities over the course of treatment.
- Working closely with cancer center and pharmacy leadership to expand oncology clinical pharmacy services at MCC.
- Saunders IM, et al. (2014) Topical Cidofovir–Induced Acute Kidney Injury in Two Severely Immunocompromised Patients with Refractory Multidrug-Resistant Herpes Simplex Virus Infections. J Oncol Pharm Pract, 0:1-7.
- Nightingale G, et al (2017) Hematology/Oncology Pharmacy Association Entry-level Competencies Task Force Response Statement to the 2016 American College of Clinical Pharmacy Pharmacotherapy Didactic Curriculum Toolkit. Pharmacotherapy 37(5):e30-e31
- Awdishu L, et al. (2019) Pharmacist Collaborative Care within Academic Health Systems. Pharmacy (Basel). 11; 7(4).
- Lau KM, et al. (2020) Evaluation of pharmacist interventions in a head and neck medical oncology clinic. J Oncol Pharm Pract. 1078155219897129.
- Lau KM, et al. (2020) Characterization of relapse patterns in patients with acute lymphoblastic leukemia treated with blinatumomab. J Oncol Pharm Pract. 1078155220934853.
- Saunders IM, et al. (2020) Real-World Toxicity Experience with BRAF/MEK Inhibitors in Patients with Erdheim-Chester Disease. Oncologist. (2):e386-e390.
- Edmonds KP, et al. (2020) Emerging Challenges to the Safe and Effective Use of Methadone for Cancer-Related Pain in Paediatric and Adult Patient Populations. Drugs. 80(2):115-130.
- Saunders IM, et al. (2020). Long Term Follow Up of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant Survivors: A Focus on Screening, Monitoring, and Therapeutics. Pharmacotherapy. https://doi.org/10.1002/phar.2443
- Developing service interventions that will improve clinical outcomes for patients with cancer.
- Developing clinical practices that will improve appropriate medication prescribing and medication adherence for patients with cancer.