The UC San Diego Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (SSPPS) in conjunction with Millennium Health is pleased to announce its two-year Postdoctoral Fellowship in Health Economics of Personalized Medicine.
The fellows will engage in research in drug therapy outcomes, pharmacogenomics and pharmacoeconomics, using tools to evaluate economic, humanistic and clinical outcomes of drug therapy at UC San Diego Health and at Millennium Health, San Diego.
Applicants must meet the following minimum qualifications: Pharm.D., M.D., Ph.D. degree or equivalent (awarded or in process) Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident at the time of application. Prior healthcare-related or industry experience is preferred.
The program is designed to develop individuals with skills in health outcomes and pharmacoeconomics research who would ultimately pursue a career in academia, managed care, health policy, government/public service, or the pharmaceutical industry. Training and career interests may extend from drug policy through clinical trials and economic and treatment outcomes.
The fellows will collaborate with members of the health outcomes and pharmacoeconomic and research community at UC San Diego and Millennium Health. This range of activities reflects the interests of our existing research and clinical care programs.
Fellows will develop basic skills in patient-centered outcomes, study design and health economic research from an academic and industrial perspective. Fellows will attend seminars in health policy, economics and outcomes research methods, pharmacoepidemiology, pharmacogenomics, biostatistics, trial design, and serve as volunteer faculty at the Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. Activities will be tailored based on fellowship project(s). Possible activities will include the following: Review and write research proposals, develop data collection strategies, complete relevant clinical and/or laboratory experiences and perform advanced data analyses and hypothesis testing using health data. Fellows will review and prepare research proposals and compose manuscripts for publication, engage in interdisciplinary seminars and develop teaching skills in economic, genomic, social and administrative sciences courses with pharmacy students. The interaction between the outcomes, economics and clinical scientists and fellows creates an environment that nurtures state-of-the-art research at UC San Diego and Millennium Health. Fellow will give a quarterly work-in-progress seminar presentation at UC San Diego SSPPS.
This program will be tailored based on the education and training background of the fellow. Fellows will have the opportunity to pursue didactic coursework toward a master’s degree in clinical research through UC San Diego Clinical Research Enhancement through Supplemental Training (CREST) program. Courses towards other master’s degrees are also offered.
Fellowship Program Objectives
- Enhance knowledge of literature evaluation, clinical trials, research design, biostatistics, and health outcomes research
- Provide training and experience in broad range of health economics and outcomes research including protocol development, data collection, data management, data analysis, deliverable production
- Provide training and experience in the application of pharmacogenomics to medical treatment in institutional settings and potentially ambulatory settings, incorporation of pharmacogenomics into treatment pathways, demonstration of the value of pharmacogenomics as it affects outcomes, costs, and quality measures
- Present results at national/international research conferences
- Develop an understanding of how pharmacogenomics and pharmacoeconomics methods can be combined to evaluate evolving and innovative medical therapies (e.g. biosimilars)
- Publish study project findings in manuscript form in a peer reviewed journal prior to fellowship completion
Two-years (beginning each summer)
Salary and Benefits
Compensation is commensurate with NIH post-doctoral training positions. Benefits are provided including medical, dental and vision insurance.
We hope to accept applications in the future. We will update this website at that time.
IMPORTANT NOTE: We are not accepting applications for this fellowship at this time. We will update our website when we are accepting applications for this opportunity.
To apply for this position please send the following two documents in one PDF File:
- A letter describing your background, career interests and how this fellowship would fit into your plans.
- Curriculum Vitae including list of publications
TO: Email: To Be Determined
SUBJECT: Fellowship Selection Committee
Also required are three letters of recommendation - Please ask that your letters be emailed directly to To Be Named at To Be Determined.
TO: Email: To Be Determined SUBJECT: Fellowship Selection Committee
For any additional program information or questions, please email:
Brookie Best, Pharm.D.
UC San Diego
Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences